Hindu Sun temple in Kashmir, India, Varun Shiv Kapur
The images above show the former Osaka Stadium in Japan around 1998-1999. Prior to this, it was the home of the Nankai Hawks baseball team until the owner sold it to the Daiei Group and the team was moved to Fukoka City. After the sale, the stadium was abandoned and purchased by a property development company that used the space as a model home showroom. Eventually parts of the stadium were demolished and were repurposed into the Namba Parks shopping center.
Tornado blew the roof up, the curtain blew outside, then the roof came back down, trapping the curtain (via reddit)
Darul Aman Palace (meaning “abode of peace”) is a European-style palace located about 16 kilometers from the center of Kabul. The palace was built during the 1920’s as part of the reformist King Amanullah Khan’s modernization drive.
It is an imposing neoclassical building on a small hilltop overlooking a flat, dusty valley in the south-western part of the Afghan capital. Intended as the seat for a future parliament outside of Kabul, the building was unused for many years after religious conservatives forced Amanullah from power and halted his reforms.
The palace was gutted by fire in 1969. It was restored, first to house the Kabul Museum and later the Defence Ministry during the 1970’s and 1980’s.
During the Communist coup of 1978, Darul Aman Palace was set on fire. It was destroyed again by heavy shelling as rival Mujahideen factions fought for control of Kabul during the early 1990’s, leaving the building the shell that you see here.
You can see the outlines of the once-luscious gardens in the foreground. The man standing on the edge of the circle, apparently the grounds keeper, lives under a tarp off to the left with his young son and daughter.
By Bruce MacRae
Abandoned wood cart rails stretch through Taipingshan in Taiwan, Justin Jones
Old Church at Jemseg N.B. Canada, Mike Tidd
Abandoned Moss Covered Cabin, Washington State, Patrick McManus
Ballybunion Castle was built by the Geraldines in the 14th Century. It stands on the Castle Green site of an old promontory coastal fort of the “Clann Conaire.” In 1582 the castle had been acquired from the Geraldines by the Bonyon family. In 1583 William Og Bonyon lost the castle and lands due to his part in the Desmond Rebellion. In 1612 the castle and lands were granted to Thomas Fitzmaurice 16th Lord of Kerry and Lixnaw by the English King James 6th. By 1783 Richard Hare was in possession of the castle. From 1923 onwards the castle has gone under the care of the Office of Public Works. It was destroyed in the Desmond Wars. All that remains today is this East Wall.
It stands as a memorial to the Bonyons, a proud and powerful family from whom today’s beautiful coastal town of Ballybunion takes its name.